The Gamecocks head to Athens to take on the spelling-challenged Dawgs. Gametimes are 6:30 p.m. Friday, 4 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday.
THREE FOR THE GAMECOCKS
- Justin Smoak. His sixth home run of the year, which came Wednesday night, puts him third on the all-time list for the Gamecocks with 45 long balls in his career. The season numbers aren't shabby, either. Smoak has a .340 average and 29 walks for an on-base percentage of .493.
- Reese Havens. Batting .387, hit three home runs last week, has 43 hits, etc. In other words, you know why he's here.
- Four-game winning streak. Yeah, streaks end. But momentum in baseball is momentum. When a team begins to win, it can be hard to stop.
TWO FOR THE DAWGS
- Trevor Holder Jr. His 3-2 record might not look too impressive, but Holder has a tiny 2.38 ERA with 25 Ks against just 12 walks in 34 innings of work.
- Four-game winning streak. What's good for the Gamecock is good for the Bulldog. Plus, the Gamecocks have crossed the state line one other time this year: When the team traveled to Vanderbilt, a series it lost.