The bill is finally set: the Gamecocks will take on the Connecticut Huskies in the Papa John's Bowl at 2:00 on January 2.
Here are some quick facts about the Huskies:
- UConn is 7-5 and riding a three-game winning streak into the bowl game.
- All five of the Huskies' losses came by four or less points. Those were against UNC, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, and Cincinnati. In other words, one of the ACC's better teams and the all-stars of the Big East.
- The Huskies came into the year expecting to win games with their defense. Surprisingly, though, that hasn't happened. The team is 72nd in the country in total defense and 47th in offense, reversing expectations. They're 23rd in scoring offense. The defensive weakness is against the pass.
- The Huskies like to run the ball. They have two solid backs in Jordan Todman (1152 yards) and Andre Dixon.(967).
- Watch out! UConn is tenth in the nation in kickoff returns; they average 27 ypr as a team with Todman the main guy at 25.5 ypr.
- As you've probably heard, the Huskies have dedicated their season to slain corner Jasper Howard, who was murdered during the middle of the season in a campus stabbing.
That's all for right now. We'll have more coverage here at Garnet and Black Attack in the coming weeks. For now, check out more coverage at The State and Leftover Hot Dog. I'll end by saying I'm a little disappointed we didn't get Pitt, but I'll take the challenge UConn brings and hope we can end the season on a positive note.