As those of you who have read this blog long enough will remember, Willy Mac is a Clemson guy with a twisted sense of humor who blogs at Block-C. He asked me to share the following with you.
Gentlemen, it's Willy Mac from over at the Clemson blog Block-C and I’ve started a Movember group to raise awareness about prostate/testicular cancer. We had a terrible failed experiment over at Block-C to take place a few years ago in the form of a mustache growing competition (http://www.block-c.com/2008/09/03/mustache-competition-le-fin/). To be honest, it was weak sauce and a bit bush league. We're trying it again, but this time we're trying to raise money for the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG.
People want purple outs, black outs, white outs, etc. Okay, you wanna get cutesy? I’ll see your stupid chromatic ideas and raise you a month (possibly more) long bean duster.
The rules are as follows (copied from their about page found here [http://us.movember.com/about/]):
"Movember challenges men to change their appearance and the face of men’s health by growing a moustache. The rules are simple, start Movember 1st clean-shaven and then grow a moustache for the entire month. The moustache becomes the ribbon for men’s health, the means by which awareness and funds are raised for cancers that affect men.
Much like the commitment to run or walk for charity, the men of Movember commit to growing a moustache for 30 days."
Continue reading after the jump.
Are you behind on growing or already have a good growth? That's ok! Send a pic anyways! The goal here is just to help raise money and awareness.
Feel free to send in your pics as the month progresses and we’ll have an unveiling at the end of the month. Winner get’s a small prize that is to be paid for by myself. You’re gonna love it, trust me. Lip sweater pictures can be sent to ‘dannyfordisgod -at- gmail -dot- com’
*Part of the following is a canned copy/pasta from the schtick they send us to help raise money, I’ve just spruced it up a bit.*
This November I’ve decided to donate my face to raising awareness about cancers that affect men. My commitment is the growth of a moustache for the entire month, which I know will generate conversation, controversy, a gamut of accusations, hatred, jealousy, and laughter.
I’m doing this because:
- I’m a bastard in the worst kind of way sometimes. I need to buy my way into heaven without formally apologizing to a higher entity because as you know, I’m a little stubborn and ego-centric. - I’m tired of everyone getting on board with breast cancer. I like boobs and all, but I like my meat and two veg the way they are. Losing my man parts seems way worse than losing a booby.
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in his lifetime. What the heck is being put into our tap water?
- 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
- In 2010 tragically more than an estimated 32,000 men will die as a direct result of prostate cancer. This is where a rogue cell structure eats the area around your butthole and causes it to collapse, eventually painfully killing the victim. It probably eats your balls too, but not in a good way.
- A man is 35% more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than a woman is to be diagnosed with breast cancer so eat that you pink wearing whiners.
- This is a cause that I feel semi-passionately about and I’m asking you to support my efforts by making a donation to support the truly great and incredible work of the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG. To help, you can either:
- Click this link (http://us.movember.com/mospace/696614) and donate online using your credit card or PayPal account.
- Help me spread the word by becoming one of my team members. You can’t give money? That’s fine, help me raise money and spread awareness by clicking this link (http://us.movember.com/mospace/edit-details) and joining my team and helping us raise money through your networks! Help me raise some money!
The money raised will help make a tangible difference to the lives of others, through the world’s most promising prostate cancer research and LIVESTRONG’s programs that support young adults and their families battling and surviving cancer.
Seriously though, if I die and there is a heaven and you don’t donate money, I AM going to be pretty screwed.