Welcome to "Full Count," a look at the upcoming game/series for the Gamecocks baseball team which also serves as an open thread if you feel compelled.
This weekend: The Tiggers of the Upstate. A home-and-home against Clemson, with the Saturday game in Columbia and the Sunday game in that place.
THREE FOR THE GAMECOCKS
- Reese Havens. The reigning SEC player of the week has three HRs, 9 RBIs and a .533 average. (OBP, for those who like that, is .696.)
- Fast starts. The Gamecocks have scored 22 runs in the first three innings this year, compared to nine for their opponents. One way to make up for a rotation with some question marks is to score early and often.
- They are Clemson. Therefore, South Carolina must win. Simple, huh?
TWO FOR THE TIGERS
- Wilson Boyd. The redshirt sophomore outfielder has four home runs and a .438 average. Right now, Boyd is hitting one long ball for every four at bats. His slugging percentage? 1.188.
- Pitching. Forget ERAs for the moment, which are terribly distorted at this point in the season. (As are the batting numbers, but that's for another day.) The highest batting average against a Clemson starter so far is .294. No one else has done worse than .250.