First of all, I'd like to say great game to the 'Cats. Kentucky was much tougher than I expected. Randall Cobb, Derrick Locke, and that offensive line are all high quality. Fortunately for us, we made a few more key plays than the 'Cats did and that won us the game.
I'll have more to say tomorrow, but here are some quick thoughts for now.
1. Our defensive front was mandhandled in this game, and when they were in position they couldn't tackle. Were we just sleepwalking or should we expect 'Bama to run all over us next week?
2. Our offensive line was equally bad, at least in pass blocking. I thought they had improved, but today was a step back.
3. A lot of people are going to remember Stephen Garcia's two turnovers and a couple of underthrown deep balls. However, the numbers show a decent outing by Garcia. He was 16/23 with three TDs and he threw for over 10 yards per attempt. He also ran for an epic first down on the final drive.What do you make of his performance?
4. Needless to say, we need to get Alshon Jeffrey in the game more. Legendary performance by the true freshman today.
5. Kenny Miles is clearly our best running back. He may not have been the bluechip athlete Brian Maddox and Jarvis Giles were, but he has great vision, a nose for the hole, and breaks tackles. Great performance by him today.
6. Our offensive playcalling was a bit of a mystery to me. I thought we should have tried to establish the run earlier, but it seemed like we abandoned it during parts of the game.