Two new Gamecocks
If you somehow missed it, the Gamecocks landed two commitments over the weekend from 3-star defensive end Tyreek Johnson and 3-star offensive tackle Eric Douglas of Mallard Creek in Charlotte, North Carolina (who was the #SpursUp tweet last Wednesday). Johnson is a project-type prospect who has a good frame and size to go with it. He called South Carolina his "dream school" after committing. Douglas was a guy the staff had had their eyes on since the old regime and offensive line coach Sean Elliott really liked what he saw out of Douglas in several different camps. Douglas has a lot of potential to become a very good player on the line for the Gamecocks in the future, gets South Carolina better standing ground with Mallard Creek - who produces great players year in and year out - and also could go a long way in helping the Gamecocks land Douglas' teammate, 4-star offensive tackle TJ Moore.
The Gamecocks reached all the way out to California again this weekend to offer Sacramento 4-star defensive end DJ Johnson.
Ranked as the 12th best defensive end in the state of California, Johnson holds an impressive offer sheet that now includes South Carolina.
- Big time 2017 4-star safety Hamsah Nasirildeen of Concord, NC is said to be very high on the Gamecocks at this point in the process and many believe that South Carolina has staying power within his top schools for the long run. Landing a commitment from Nasirildeen at a huge position of need would be an enormous victory for the South Carolina staff. Both North Carolina and Florida State are also factors with Nasirildeen as well.
- Class of 2017 3-star quarterback Jelani Woods will be at South Carolina on Saturday for the Gamecock's spring game. Woods has been high on South Carolina, who is looking to take another quarterback in the 2017 class along with Jake Bentley, and this will be his second trip to campus. Woods said a decision could come after his trip to Oklahoma State on April 16.
- 2017 3-star linebacker Chase Monroe of Davidson, NC is on campus today in Columbia.
Ill be up at South Carolina tomorrow !— Chase Monroe (@ChaseMonroe58) April 4, 2016
He currently holds offers from Kentucky, Mississippi State and Illinois, among others, but does not have an offer yet from the Gamecocks.
- Class of 2018 defensive lineman Robert Cooper of Snellville, Georgia released a "no order" top five schools list on Twitter Saturday night and the Gamecocks made the cut.
- Class of 2018 5-star defensive end Xavier Thomas, who we have mentioned a lot lately and is a cornerstone recruit for the program going forward, took a visit to see the Gamecocks practice this weekend and came away feeling very good about what he saw.
Great time in Columbia again today! Really felt like home. #SpursUp— Xavier Thomas (@atxlete) April 2, 2016