1) Alabama Crimson Tide - The Trojans of Southern Cal were hanging in with the nation’s top team, and then this happened. Maybe don’t kick people in the nuts? Oh, and Lane Kiffin is a vengeful SOB.
2) Georgia Bulldogs - Well, Nick Chubb is back and the Bulldogs make a move towards the top of our power poll. Georgia looked pretty good and beat a UNC team that is supposed to contend for an ACC title, So, obviously they’re going to lose to their FCS opponent and finish the season 3-9.
3) Texas A&M Aggies - Oh look, a Kevin Sumlin led team is the toast of college football after week 1. I’ll believe they’re legit when they win in November.
4) Tennessee Volunteers - It wasn’t pretty, but they got a win over Appalachian State. Tennessee will need to clean some things up, and quickly, if they expect to contend for the SEC title.
5) Florida Gator - Steve Spurrier got (probably) really drunk and helped lead the pregame activities before kickoff against UMass. That was the most interesting thing Gator fans saw all night as Florida slogged their way to a 24-7 win.
6) Ole Miss Rebels - Despite the loss to Florida State, Ole Miss proved that if they can play consistently for 4 quarters they’ll be dangerous. Ole Miss is going to ruin somebody’s season, it’s just a matter of who.
7) Auburn Tigers - The Gus Bus has run off the road as the Mad Scientist overthought literally every situation against Clemson and gave away a winnable game. Their defense kept them in the game, but the offense just couldn’t do quite enough.
8) LSU Tigers - Les Miles had some sympathy support after the way the administration tried to get rid of him last year. That support is now gone.
9) South Carolina Gamecocks - After seemingly everyone predicted Vanderbilt to roll the Gamecocks by 3 touchdowns, the Gamecocks came back from a 10-0 deficit to secure the first win of the Muschamp era.
10) Arkansas Razorbacks - #BertBall apparently takes a while to get moving. If history is any indication, the Razorbacks will get exponentially better as the season rolls along.
11) Missouri Tigers - I guess I’m moving Mizzou up because they played a fairly respectable game against West Virginia on the road. That offense is going to be terrible, though.
12) Kentucky Wildcats - After being up 35-10, the Wildcats gave up 34 straight points and lost 44-35. That defense probably won’t stop anybody and the people of Lexington are already dreaming of basketball season.
13) Vanderbilt Commodores - It must be tough hyping a game up all off-season, declaring it a must win and then losing to a team that nobody expects much from. Oh, and your fans didn’t even show up and it was basically a neutral site game.
14) Mississippi State Bulldogs - Fun fact: Perry Orth’s brother is a QB for the South Alabama Jaguars. Oh, and it looks like Dan Mullen didn’t quite get out of Starkville in time as it might be a long year for the Bulldogs.