3-star 2017 quarterback Jelani Woods publicly named South Carolina his leader following the spring game on Saturday.
#STRecruiting QB Jelani Woods names USC favorite over OK St and Mich after spring game visit.— SportsTalk (@sportstalksc) April 10, 2016
He has one more visit left to take to Oklahoma State this weekend and after that he's likely to decide where he will commit. The Gamecocks have been in the driver's seat here for a while now and unless something incredible happens while he is in Stillwater, It is highly likely that Woods commits to South Carolina at some point next week.
- Big time 4-star 2017 receiver Shi Smith remains a huge target for the Gamecocks and has been leaning South Carolina's way for some time now. He tweeted this on Saturday which seems to further indicate the notion that the Gamecocks are in a good spot with him:
I love cola . ❤️— ShiSmith (@Check1_) April 10, 2016
Smith would be an enormous addition for the 2017 class and is still expected to ultimately sign with South Carolina when all is said and done.
- The Gamecocks became the first to offer 2019 athlete Johnny Dixon on Sunday.
Dixon will be going into his sophomore year this fall. Getting in early and especially being the first to offer can go a long way down the road. This staff continues to impress by being ahead of the ball.
- 2019 offensive lineman Evan Neal picked up an offer from the Gamecocks on Saturday.
Neal carries one other offer from Southern Miss.
- 2018 running back Mateo Durant was in town for the spring game on Saturday and enjoyed the atmosphere of the crowd as well as seeing some of the alumni come back and support the program. Durant does not currently hold an offer from the Gamecocks, but has visited campus multiple times and should South Carolina offer down the line, they would be a good position to land his services.
- 3-star 2017 linebacker Kenny Britt of Alabama was in Columbia this weekend for the spring game and had a good visit. He interacted a lot with Jake Bentley, who has been actively recruiting Britt to join him in Columbia.
South Carolina, Georgia and Auburn have all offered and are the schools currently pushing hardest for his commitment.
- Speaking of Jake Bentley, he got into a pretty entertaining Twitter conversation with 2017 Clemson quarterback pledge Chase Brice on Sunday and Monday, with both vying for the services of highly-touted in-state tight end and defensive end Logan Rudolph. Seems to me like our boy Jake won the battle. Take a look:
Bentley may be the most important recruiter of the next few months for the Gamecocks and to see him actively pursuing guys he knows could help in Columbia is a great sign. He is a natural leader and his addition will continue to pay dividends for South Carolina as they build the 2017 class and beyond.