December’s early Signing Day came and went for South Carolina without much fanfare, as just a handful of prospects inked with the Gamecocks.
South Carolina, which wasn’t recruiting at a high level for 2021 even before coach Will Muschamp was fired, was forced to try to hold its recruiting class together after several defections. New head coach Shane Beamer, still wrapping up his tenure at Oklahoma, will definitely have some work to do — and is hopefully ready to hit the ground running with his sales pitch once the NCAA transfer portal opens up.
The prospects who signed with South Carolina today, all three-star recruits:
- O’Mega Blake, WR (Rock Hill, S.C. — also the clear winner of “Best Name in Class”)
- Nicholas Barrett, DL (Goldsboro, N.C.)
- Marcellus Dial, CB (Georgia Military College)
- Jordan Davis, OL (Fairburn, Ga.)
- Colten Gauthier, QB (Dacula, Ga.)
- Caleb “Juju” McDowell, RB (Leesburg, Ga.)
- Sam Reynolds, WR (Alabaster, Ala.)
Commitments JonDarius Morgan (OL; Birmingham, Ala.) and T.J. Sanders (DL; Marion, S.C.) are waiting until February to sign.
Four signees will enroll early in January — Gauthier, Reynolds, Barrett, and Dial.
The Gamecocks’ class currently sits at 105th in the 247 Sports composite rankings (which, I probably don’t need to mention, is last in the SEC). Again, the transfer portal is going to be huge here if South Carolina wants to salvage much more for 2021.